Thursday, July 3, 2008

Quick Jabs: Disassociated Randomness

Some random rants and raves for now. Sometimes, there are just so many things in a guy's head that to focus on any single one is bad. Especially if he wants to sleep later. I might choose to write about any one of these in greater detail later, but for now, putting them down in text takes precedence.

---

Avatar, The Last Airbender - The greatest, most entertaining animated series in the history of American animation is set to have its final DVD compilation, with the last several episodes, out at the end of this month. Why must I wait so long? Whyyyyyyyyyyyy?!?

*FLAILS*

*calms down*

Ahem. That doesn't happen very often. The flailing, I mean. Only happens with things 'm crazy about, of which this series is one of them. I have been waiting much too long to get my hands on the ending. Nickelodeon, for some insane reason, opted to release the DVD compilation BEFORE airing the final eps on television. So the soonest anyone can see the final bits of this excellent production are when the DVD is released.

Way to go boosting your DVD sales.

Only good thing about this is that it gives me time to save up some money.

Verdict: Rant + Rave

---

I may have mentioned once that the 2008 movie season is so incredible that I have to forego watching certain movies to be able to fit the really good ones into the budget. Those must-sees include Wall-E, The Dark Knight, Hellboy 2 and Mummy 3. Unfortunately, Wall-E seems to be destined for a late release here in Asia, and my cinema watching bone is itching.

Should I watch one of the movies I previously decided to give up?

Wanted is getting great reviews, and is one of the highest ever grossing from-comics movies from a non-DC, non-Marvel publisher. Plus, it has Angelina Jolie. The action, guns, and cinematography seem top-notch as well, and I know the story isn't going to be as stupidly shallow as Jumper.

Did I mention Angelina Jolie? Seems like I did. But she deserves a second mention.

There's also Hancock, which is yet another superhero flick, but with a seriously sardonic twist to it. It stars Will Smith, which is almost a guarantee for something at least remotely entertaining.

There's also comedy movies. Is Don't Mess with the Zohan showing yet? And then there's that Rob Schneider movie whose name doesn't come to mind right now... Oh wait, I think it was called Big Stan. I know that one's trailer made me laugh almost to tears. But it isn't out yet. So should I wait for Wall-E, especially with Dark Knight around the corner? Or watch something now?

Mmm... Angelina Jolie...

Verdict: Rant + Rave

---

No news yet as to when the second season of Spectacular Spider-Man will begin. Boo. Thirteen eps are NOT enough. It's like Heroes: Season Two all over again, but without an annoying writers' strike.

And where is the next episode of Ben 10: Alien Force? The torrents stop at episode 9. I am not willing to wait for an Asian release for that series. Give me my Omnitrix fix now!

Verdict: Rant

---


Batman #678 hits the stands this week. Third part in the ongoing Batman RIP story arc. I'd be interested, but it's written by Grant Morrison. And I have certain opinions about that guy.

I'll wait for the next installment of Detective Comics instead. Seems a much safer option.

Verdict: Rant

---

My downloads are focusing on Transformers: Animated and Macross Frontier at the moment. Both are entertaining so far, with certain episodes of TF:A being more enjoyable than the best I've seen of MF (up to ep 8), but with MF being the overall better series due to numerous "miss" episodes on the TF:A end.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of both. I suspect that MF will stay the overall better of the two transforming mecha series, for numerous reasons, the primary of which is my inner Macross fanboy beats my inner Transformers fanboy.

Sari beats Ranka in likability in my book, however. I actually like the former a lot, and I normally don't appreciate kids who fall into the perky-stubborn pseudo-brat genre. Of the later... I can write volumes of how many ways I want her to die.

Verdict: Rave

---

Hybrid rules.

And opposing color hybrid rules further.

Magic: The Gathering players know what I'm talking about.

Despite the hubbub surrounding Eventide, I'm still looking for a copy of Oona, Queen of the Fae. Anyone got a spare?

Verdict: Rave

---

Skrulls are still invading the Marvel Universe. The X-Men have moved to San Francisco. Joss Wheddon says goodbye to the Runaways, who are not only going to have their book continue, but are rumored to have a movie in the conceptualization stages.

All good, except that Michael Turner is dead, Chuck Dixon left DC in a major huff, and DC editorial still can't tell its right hand from its left.

Verdict: Rant + Rave

---

Nothing left to see here. Moving along.

No comments: