Thursday, June 26, 2008

Quick Jabs: George, Storms and More Green Guys

George Carlin, 1937 - 2008. One of the greatest comedians ever, he's still my favorite. Here's to you, George, and fond memories of Frisbeetarianism, the Monday Night Executions, sun worship, attacking the children, dick fear in the Persian Gulf, germ obsession, Scab Aficionado Magazine, rewriting the Ten Commandments, balancing the US budget, advertising bullshit, and seven words I will not post in my blog.

Wherever you are, give em heaven or give them hell. But I know you'll give them something. You're too good not to speak up when you have something on your mind.

---


Have you been reading the news lately? Atypical typhoon patterns sinking ships, massive floods drowning whole towns and cities, freak lightning storms setting off hundreds of wildfires... It doesn't take a genius to see that something is seriously wrong.

Call it global warming if you want to. I'm calling it what it really is, and that's too many stupid people doing too many stupid things too quickly. Some people say the planet is dying. I say if it is dying, it'll at least do the universe a favor of taking humanity down with it.

However, I am quite optimistic in thinking that we'll die long before we do irreparable harm to the biosphere, and life will go on. Without us. Just faint, lingering memories, a few hundred thousand tons of non-biodegradable matter, and disintegrating monuments.

The Earth plus Plastic.

Something else George and I agree on.

No comments: