Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull


I sat down in the movie theater with simple expectations, something I noticed is important in enjoying films like this. I didn't come in expecting to see something as wondrously amazing as an installment of the Lord of the Rings trilogy (my gold standard for the near perfect film experience, geek that I am).

My wants as a fan of the original 3 films were easy. I wanted at least 2 vehicular chases (1 conventional and 1 exotic), whip swinging, breaking windows, one scene involving snakes, deathtraps, puzzle doors, several fistfights, riddles and being chased by natives.

And what do you know? I got all that and a bit more. Classic Indiana Jones stuff, and the homages to the earlier films were a nice touch. Some new elements too. The most extreme being surviving a hydrogen bomb test in a refrigerator.

My friends and I had a great time.

So how does this stack against the other three films? Using entertainment value as my only criteria, I enjoyed this more than Temple of Doom, but I liked Raiders and Last Crusade more.

No comments: